Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Feeling Guilty

Hi Tomers,

I have what feels like an adulterous confession to make: I am reading another book.
Before we picked out The Alchemist, I went searching online for book ideas and I came across a nice list of books. When I reserved The Alchemist and the Graphic Novel version of The Alchemist I also requested some other books that were on that list.

One of the books, A Trip to the Stars by Nicholas Christopher, arrived before The Alchemist; so I started reading.

At first it did not grab a hold of me, and even when it started to pique my interest... I still found sections and moments when my interest waned. But it has grown on me and I am feeling more pulled into the story. And for that reason, I wanted to share the book with you.

We don't have to read it together - but I thought I would toss it out there.
I am still on board and excited about reading, comparing, and discussing the two versions of The Alchemist, but this may be a book that we can turn to next.

What do folks think?
I am also open to other book ideas.
For example, after reading Feed, I felt like I wanted to reread 1984 by Orwell and I also wanted to read Brave New World by Huxley, a book that even surprises me for never having read it.

Also, there was mention of The Celestine Prophecy. Another life-changer of a book for me, but then again, like The Alchemist, I think both books were powerful to me because of my age and place in life. At that time those books and more importantly the messages within them really resonated with what I needed to hear.

Here is a link to the list:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/143.Favorite_Magical_Realism_Novels
Since then I found to what appears to be a different list of novels that fall into the category of Magical Realism on the same website goodreads.com
http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/magical-realism

Looking forward to many more!

1 comment:

Adam Hegg said...

I have certainly been reading other books so don't worry Franco. Most of what I have read have been literary equivalents of snickers bars. Delicious and satisfies an immediate craving but leaves you fat and broken out. I do love them though. Since tome has started I have read
The Burgler who Studied Spinoza by Lawrence Block (a funny little story about a serial burglar and his wacky adventures...part of a series of which I have read four or five...sort of like Murder She Wrote)
The Hot Rock by Donald Westlake (a heist book, again pretty silly but fun if you like heist-y things)
Known to Evil by Walter Mosely (straight up PI novel)
I have also read a crap ton of Comics (or graphic novels if you prefer) notable among them:
The Losers by Andy Diggle and Jock (basically the A-team...espionage and heist-y (notice a trend?)
All Star Superman by Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly (the definitive Superman story IMHO)
The Outfit by Darwyn Cooke (adapted from a Richard Stark novel...a revenge tale (with heists))

and what I think Francophile would really like and I suggest as either a read and blog book or just to read: Daytripper by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon. This is a ten issue (collected in one volume or as individual comics) story detailing the life of a Brazilian guy named Bras. It is magical realism in comics form done extremely well.

(an aside to me Graphic Novel is a distinction given to a cartooned story written, drawn and intended to be read in one piece. Comic books are serialized stories printed as magazines and collected editions are collections of comic books. In this case you can read Daytripper in its serialized for as comics or get it in one collected edition. It is not a graphic novel to me because it is intended to be serialized. As I just typed that I totally forgot that most if not all of Dickens's (and a whole pile of other writers of that era) were initially serialized yet I don't sit down and read a 'collected edition' of Bleak House...but I digress.

So, long story short (too late), I say we read all we want to read but settle on a few to talk about here. I will get A trip to the Stars from my library and when it gets here I will catch up with you (assuming our baby doesn't come...then it may be a while (the baby could come any minute by the by). I would also be willing to give Brave New World a shot...I also have never read it. While I am at it I think most people would love Daytripper...so give it a shot if you like.

I just finished Feed...I will look at your questions later tomorrow and give them a response. Thanks!