Saturday, July 16, 2011

Our next adventure

In the constant struggle as a youngster to fit in versus make a statement (i.e. making a culture into a counter-culture as AHegg spoke of previously), there is debate about what is appropriate to expose to youth. Books are a funny arena in which adults like to control what young people are exposed to like some books bring the plague and anarchy and others bring about saintliness and angel-like wholesomeness in young people... maybe it is true? But why do adults try and control which books young people read? Fear. But fear in what/whom? Fear that books are two powerful, too persuasive? Maybe? Or fear that young people are too weak, too impressionable?


I think one of the most harmful ways to weaken young adults is to shelter them from ideas, to weaken their ability to reason by denying them chances to reason. What if instead of denying ideas to youth, adults actively engaged in debate with youth together!

One book that has received much criticism for being too intense, too real, too harsh is The Absolutely True Dairy of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.

Many argue that the book is not appropriate for young readers. How about we read it together and decide for ourselves?

Here are some articles about this debate than can spark our conversation about this topic and this book:



 

4 comments:

chw said...

I'm game as long as the deadline isn't too soon. I like this concept of reading books that someone else has called controversial and then deciding for ourselves. -c

Adam Hegg said...

I also agree. Perversely (even though I am on family leave this summer) I probably won't get to this book again until the fall.
This is one that is on the 8th grade curriculum at my school so I might even be able to get some student reaction. Hope all are well.

Fellow Francophile said...

No deadline - read it when you can and we can discuss it whenever.
I was away this past week - riding across Iowa in the bike ride called RAGBRAI - and when I came home, Anne had picked up the book for me from the Library. (She is so great.) I read it this afternoon, and I am a slow reader!

It is quick read and also a terrific, amazing, powerful, awesome, enjoyable, fun, and funny book. A real gem. I wish I had read this when I was a freshman in high school.

I look forward to talking about the book with you both.

pam said...

I loved the book and the article written by S.A. about the book. He said that teens read "because they are sad and lonely and enraged. They read because they live in an often-terrible world. They read because they believe, despite the callow protestations of certain adults, that books-especially the dark and dangerous ones-will save them." Well, that about sums it up! As a teacher, what I want most for my students is to see reading as a way to connect and empathize with others. The Absolutely True Diary presents so many opportunities for readers to relate personally or build their understanding of others and their situations. I think the power of the book comes from Junior being such an earnest and honest character. He can talk to us about addiction, masturbation,grief, and poverty SO he can also talk to us about 'paying attention to your dreams,' 'tolerance' and 'believing in yourself.' The overwhelmingly positive message would not mean much if there were no reality or real feelings behind it.

I wonder how much of the story is autobiographical?